Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Here

I am here and safe. The flight into Senegal was very nice, and pretty fast. I love when they give you a 1000 movies to pick from. Tangled, Harry Potter 7 and Due Date where my movies of choice. I think everyone in my group felt a wave of reality when we finally landed and walked off the plane into the early morning mist. It was still dark, but the air was thick with salt from the ocean. It made me feel at home. We then boarded a bus and began our trip into Thies, where the training center is located. Against my mothers advice, I looked out the window during the bus right quite a bit. It was a lot to take in, but nothing that totally shocked me. I think that was revealing. However, as I did nod off to sleep, I would wake up in a slight panic when I would totally forget where I was. Kinda funny and alarming all at once.

Now I am at the training center, where we have been given a little bit of downtime before we have some lunch. The internet access is fast and easy. Very relieving. I hope to figure out the phone situation soon. Then I can begin to receive texts and calls from the states more often. I am rooming with 4 other girls in some bunker type housing. I immediately ripped apart my bag, which I will regret tonight when I have to go into my dark room (no lights) and fumble around for clothes. I do have one outlet though! Whoo!

The rest of the day looks like it is full of classes and lectures. I might also need to do my language testing. No fun! However, after walking the ground, seeing the outside world, and relating to all my fellow PCTs (Peace Corps Trainees), I feel strangely comfortable. I am reminded why I did this in the first place, and I am comforted with my confidence. Senegal culture seems to be similar to South Africa culture, which is something I loved when I was there too.

I hope to put up some pictures of my training area and more of my day-to-day activities soon. I cannot wait to start receiving things from home as a little reminder on where I come from. I do miss everyone from home. I have relieved multiple emails from my cheese (and wouldn't have it any other way) and from my mom. So nice!

More later...

4 comments:

  1. Hey Nicky, I know we haven't kept in touch, but I am proud to know you. You are so selfless and what you're doing is absolutely wonderful. Not to mention, you have guts!

    I hope you enjoy your experience in Africa!
    Jenni Kirchen

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! I love your description of the mist and ocean air...it helps me picture where you are.
    So... did you find your flashlight in the dark room???? What kind of food was served at lunch?
    Is the training center "western"? What does it offer? Pool? TV? Just trying to get a feel :-)
    Tell us more!!!!
    xox mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Morning my sweets!
    Just thinking about you....
    Dad and I were laughing because "Pee Wee Herman" was on Conan tonight...we remember watching Pee Wee with you in the white couch house on Saturday mornings..do you remember that?
    "Bear-Bear" sits atop your pillow in your bedroom...I haven't picked up one thing in your room...and I don't plan to. No reason to.
    I love you.
    mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sent some letters to you to Theis about 2 weeks before you left...so keep a look out for them. xox mom

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.