... is my lifeline and today was the first day it failed me. It made me realize how dependent I have become on communication and technology. I wish I could say that would change in the near future with my new living conditions, however I can only acknowledge that I will fall apart without the use my of my computer, internet, IPod (with FaceTime) and/or cell phone. I know that with care and a little bit of help from the very wonderful Cheese, I will be able to fix any of my future tech problems, but almost being brought to tears about not having internet kinda freaked me out. Plus, with the horrible events in Japan this morning, I realized I have NO idea whats happening in the rest of the world. I just want to make sure that I will be prepared and informed if I needed to be contacted. Its a scary reality, but one I want to be ready for.
On another note, today was a big day for my training here in Senegal. We did a lot of cultural training and some more survival Wolof (the language of 50% of Senegal people). It is hard feeling like I am trying to learn 3 different languages at once, but I am getting used to it... kinda. Most of our classes are taught in a French/English manner, which means I pick up MOST words. Then we are learning Wolof, and on Sunday we are presented with a possible 3rd language that we use at our permanent site. Thats a lot to take in. Then our cutural training went over everything from how to eat at the "community bowl", drinking tea, tying skirts, making juice, and household religious practices. We were then tested on our knowledge... whoa! I didnt see that coming. Apparently they are serious about this Peace Corps stuff... haha. I love this culture and I am really enjoying being around it and learning about it.
On Sunday I will learn which language I will be taking on (hopefully Wolof is the only one I need to know) and where I will be temporarily be relocating to. I am scared and excited for this. I want to really put myself out there to really master my language. I am excited to use some techniques we discussed and hopefully really bond with my host family. I also hope the other PCT that I am stationed with will be fun to be around too! And if the food is half as good as it is here at the Training Center, then I am set! It is INCREDIBLE. We usually eat out of community bowl, which has some sort of rice, veggies, and meat. I have given up all my vegan ways (which I will come back to one day) and am taking full advantage of it. I also hope there is some good tea. Tea here is a big social activity where people get to know each other, it has a froth on it and is LOADED with sugar! Just the way I like it.
I will update when I know more about my home stay situation! Until then....
Well...you were prepared for the community bowl! :-) So great to hear the food is deleicious! I can imagine how helpless you must of felt without communication...we all take it granted....and I too...felt lost not hearing from you. But, the situation is mended and you know now you can make it through times like that. Much love, mom
ReplyDeleteHey Nicki-
ReplyDeleteMy son Thomas is in your mom's class this year and I was fortunate enough to be in class helping out the day that you spoke to the kids. I think what you are doing is so amazing and am so excited to follow all of your experiences via this blog. Your mom is such an amazing woman and I can definitely tell that you take after her. I will help keep and eye on her and try to make sure she's not too lonely without you:) So excited for you and can't wait to hear about your training and host family.
Anne Sherwood
I can't believe how connected you have been! I was expecting a total blackout in comm for days at a time--but I know you can make it through anything, and sooner or later you're going to be so involved you might not notice if the internet goes out for a bit. Hope your host family situation works out well--I will be with one my whole time too. Thinking about you a lot.
ReplyDeleteYou are with your new host family tonight...it's strange, it's hard, it's different,.... touch the buttons on your blanket...it's going to be ok. mom
ReplyDeleteHi Nicki,
ReplyDeleteThis is Sophie's mom from your mom's class. I'm excited to follow you and hear about all the things going on around you... It is such a great thing you are doing, the act of service is the ultimate gift. You have lots of friends and family always thinking of you here in the states. With such and open heart and mind, I know at the end of 27 months you will feel the same about leaving Senegal as you did about leaving home. Enjoy!
Stacey
Hey....haven 't heard from you .... r u ok?
ReplyDeletexox mom
Nicki, we love hearing from you and of the things that you are experiencing... what an adventure!! Summer arrived here in Maryland so we are having daytime temps in the 90s (30s C-degrees) and afternoon rains and thunder-showers... yeah, summer is here. Wendy tells us that you headed off on a road trip.. so what was that like?
ReplyDeleteAll the best, Aunt Lulu and Uncle Steven