However, I may be 24, but this is the first year, I have not felt like I needed anything. I have lived as a minimalist for almost 2 years, and its surprising how much I have lived without... and hope to continue to. It feels wonderful to have your whole life in a backpack on your back, or feel like you could get up and leave at a moments notice. I dont feel like I am missing anything, or that there is any material object that could make my life more whole.
This feeling was confirmed during my most recent trip to America. I was able to spend Thanksgiving and Melissa's 21st birthday back in The States and with family. I spent SO much time with the people who gave me life (my parents) and the only person in the world who knows me inside and out (my sister). This is something I was not able to do last year, and during this holidays season, Ive never felt closer to the Ulrichs. Along with lots of family time, I got to see some amazing friends, and it shocked me how truly beautiful my friends are. Not only outside, but really, the people I have surrounded myself with over the years are the most beautiful people I know and I got to reconnect with them during this holiday season. I would not be half the person I am without them. They are my inspiration and motivation to get out of bed each morning and make today better then yesterday. Thank you to all my friends and family for being huge supporters of my nomadic life. I love you all.
So with all of that... I need nothing this holiday season. No new clothes, no shoes, no toys... nothing... I am happy, and full of love. But I do know, that many of you might not be content with that... so I will give you some options on how to shop for me this holiday season... please see list below:
1. Maleme Niani Water Extension
This is a project I am currently involved in that will bring a water source to a Women's garden in my community. It is a big project that includes my entire community, and this is the final puzzle piece. It is my #1 priority.
| Jessica Scates and I spending the holidays with some of the women of Maleme Niani |
2. SeneGAD
SeneGAD is a committee I am currently serving on that makes women's rights a priority in the hearts and minds of both Peace Corps volunteers and also the Senegalese people. By clicking on SeneGAD you will be brought to the donation page for the Peace Corps Senegal Country Fund. You can type in "SeneGAD" so that any donation you make goes straight to our organization and will help fund the Michele Sylvester Scholarship, Girls Camps, and other gender equality activities all over Senegal. Read more here.
| The great group, SeneGAD |
3. Maleme Niani Library
As I posted in one of my earliest posts. My (old) site mate, Josh Proffitt, is in the process of building a library in our community. It has been a long hard road, but we are still searching for funding. Click on the link to read more about this project.
| Josh and I |
This lovely cookbook features recipes from all over the world complied by Peace Corps volunteers. Not only is it a brilliant idea for a cookbook, but 30% of the proceeds will go to SeneGAD! I recommend picking up a couple of copies for you and all your family!!!
If you are looking to put your money into something that will actually make a difference in someones life across the world. Please consider donating to these various projects!
Thank you! Happy Holidays!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.