Tuesday, July 19, 2011

IST

"If you don't set a baseline standard for what you'll accept in life, you'll find it's easy to slip into behaviors and attitudes or a quality of life that's far below what you deserve." - Anthony Robbins

I arrived in Thies mid afternoon on Sunday, eager and ready to get some more training in for my “Inter Service Training” which is currently happening. It is not only a time to brush up on some previously learned knowledge, but also a way to get some more detailed information on various topics. Plus I get to spend time with all the people I went through PST (Pre Service Training) with, which is ALWAYS great. It is MUCH hotter in Thies then I had originally thought. It is very humid and sticky. But we were blessed with a rainstorm yesterday that cleaned everything off and cooled us all down. Today it is back up in the 80s with 80% humidity. Gross! Some of the courses and classes I have taken, or are looking forward to taking include the following:

- USAID Summer Camp Info
- How to make a “Rocket Stove”
- Tree Nursery Troubleshooting
- How to do a causerie?
- Neglected Tropical Diseases
- Solid Waste Management
- Grant Writing
- New School Curriculum
- Lesson Plan Design
- HIV/AIDS/Malaria
- Nutrition and Appropriate Tech Fair
- Non-Formal Education
- Visual Aid Design
- Permaculture
- Improved Gardening Tech
- Composting
- Behavior Change
- NGO Fair
- Tree Grafting and Transplanting
- Income Generating Projects
- Health Committee Management

I can honestly say that I have excited for almost every one of the sessions taking place; which is AWESOME. I cannot wait to go back to my village and get started on my various projects! Its going to be great. Other than that, I plan on heading out to MBour this weekend to visit my CBT Host Family. I haven’t seen them for over 2 months now and I miss them a lot. It will be great to get to see them for a day and practice my language while Im there. Plus, they live near the beach… so I cant really complain.

A couple of nights ago, someone got a hold of a copy of the NEW HARRY POTTER. I was SO excited to see it! It was everything I hoped for and more. The copy we had had some Russian subtitles, but other than that, it was great. I cannot wait to see it on the big screen (if that’s ever possible) and it got me even more hyped up for the releases of the final Twilight movies! I am not sure if I will ever be excited to go to mid-night showings for movies again. I just cant imagine such a following like these two series have had. They have really defined a lot of my generation. Harry Potter has been around for EVER! I kind of want to go back and read all the books again now… Im not saying Im actually going to do it… but Im tempted.

Before I left for this training session, I spent the week working on my hut overall. I decided that since I will be staying here for the next two years or so, I should make my hut more presentable. I decided to paint and organize. I have posted some pictures of it. I think it makes it look much more homey. I also have been working on my garden a lot and think its turning out to be very successful. Hopefully by the time I get home I have some vegetables to eat.

My room (view 1)

My room (view 2)

My garden




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.