Where do I start? I feel that the longer I am here the more and more interesting my life becomes… I also realize that everyone says the first couple months in site are very active because of all the events happening. This is true! I feel like I am always on the go and always going somewhere else, doing something new. It’s awesome and kind of tiring at the same time. Well after my Language Seminar, I went back to The Maleme, and spent a couple days with the family, before it was back out and ready to head down to Kedougou for the 4th of July! I realize now living in another county, that I LOVE THE 4th OF JULY! It is such a fun holiday! I have had MANY memorable 4ths; such as when I was an MC for the 4th of July parade in HB, the many years going to various block parties, spending the 4th watching fireworks for the balcony of the Hilton Hotel in downtown HB… and so many more, and this one definitely makes the top 5 list!
The trip down to Kedougou was awesome because we had enough people to rent out an ENTIRE Mini-bus, so it was a Toubob party! Once we got there, we checked into our hotel and spent the rest of the day exploring the city and laying out by the pool. Kedougou is a WONDERFUL , green paradise with warthogs and monkeys! Seeing wild animals makes me so excited! The next morning (the morning of the 4th) we (Cibyl, Lisa and I) got up extra LATE! 9:30am is the lastest I have gotten up in this country. It felt amazing. Around noon, we milly-millied over to the Kedougou Regional House (also called the CTC), where we saw why this house is often referred to as a “hippie-compound”. It looks like what I assumed all of Peace Corps houses looked like before I got here. It is a series of huts and outdoor, covered areas where people can hang out. They have two outdoor sleeping areas and lots of open space. It really has a “one-with-nature” kind of feel and I really enjoyed that. The kids in Kedougou really prepared for a great party, getting 3 pigs, Moranga-cheese dip, potato salad, beans, and MUCH MORE. It was a wonderful spread of AMERICAN food and made me feel very “at home”.
There was a huge rainstorm right in the middle of the day. But it put no damper (no pun intended) on the party. People continued to dance and play in the rain. Once it was over, we continued with the schedule of events and ate and drank into the night. No 4th of July party is complete without fireworks, which were incredible and amazing to see. They were accompanied by all the PCVs singing the Star Spangled Banner at the top of our lungs! So patriotic. At this time we are getting near to hour 10 of this American Shindig and people were getting very tired. I think me and my friends excused ourselves around midnight (making our party day an even 12 hrs). It was such a great way to kick off my PC service and celebrate America’s Freedom with my fellow volunteers while living in Africa.
Now before the 4th, I had a day to myself and found out that some of the people coming through Tamba were going to head to a town called Wassadou to check out a Hippo sight-seeing spot. Clearly excited to see some hippos , I was all in. We were able to rent out a whole mini-bus (really the way to travel here) and headed the 70km to Wassadou. It was a trek out to the campament where the sight-seeing is, but worth every moment. Once we were there, IMMEDIATELY we sighted 3 hippos just hanging out in The Gambian river. Not only was the view of the forest and river beautiful but we had these giant hippos to gaze at as well. They posed so well for pictures and stayed with us all day. It was a great time with more of my PCVs and I would love to revisit the campament with my parents or friend who come to visit (hint, hint). What a day! One that I will remember forever! Take a look at my pics to see more of the hippos and of the 4th of July!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.