Saturday, November 26, 2011

A Time To Give


It has officially become the holidays. I am so excited to spend some of them with my Peace Corp family and part with my American family. 

Since it is "the time of giving" I have also been sending out an email to my family and friends, explaining some of my work. If you have not recieved the email yet, please take the time to read it below! 

Thanks so much!

Dear Family and Friends, 

Greetings from Africa! As we would say in my local language, “ Kortenante? Al be herra to? Dimbiya be di?” (Meaning: There is no evil? How are you? How is your family?) Anyway, I hope all is well. As many of you know I have been in Senegal, West Africa for the better part of 2011 and will continue to work and l live here until 2013. I am a Peace Corp volunteer working in the Environmental Education sector. I live in a small road-side town called Maleme-Niani, in the Tambacounda region of Senegal. I love my work, I love this country, and I am looking forward to a lot of great work opportunities here. 

I am writing you because I am working on construction of a village library for my community with my site-mate and fellow Peace Corps volunteer, Josh Proffitt. We are lucky enough to have an Elementary School and a Middle School in our town; however the closest library is 30k away. Since we have such a high population of youth and people wishing to expand their education, we are actively working on this library with our community; pushing to develop Maleme Niani and allow our students to further their education through reading and the use of computers. These computers will be accessible in the library by all community members. It would also allow for future opportunities for computer classes, international research, etc.  However, as you know, to construct anything it takes money. I know that it is the holiday season, and you are already spending lots of money at the mall on all your families and friends, but I am reaching out to my entire database for any contribution you are able to give. It can be as little as $1; any amount can help. We cannot start any construction until we reach our goal amount. 

So before you go to get that Pumpkin Spice Latte at Starbucks, I am asking you to use that money or just  the change in your pocket, and give to a community on the other side of the globe, so we can help brighten the future of the children of Maleme Niani and continue to educate the population through literature. 

Our website to accept donations and more information about this project is here

We are receiving many of our books from Books For Africa. More about this cause clickhere

I thank you so much for taking the time to read through this entire email. Your thoughts and blessings have been greatly appreciated during my time here in Senegal. Thank you so much for all your love and support. 

Thank you again

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.