For the last two days, and for the next 2 I will be going on tournée through 13 villages in the Tambacounda region of Senegal. We are doing informational skits on diarrhea and doing demonstrations on washing your hands and making ORS (oral re-hydration solution). It has been a lot of fun to work with other volunteers and get to see the different site volunteers are placed in. We find a lot of joy getting to see each of our different huts and how they vary from village to village. We are doing Mandinka, Pula Futa, and Pular de Nord villages in this region. There are 9 volunteers in total. It is also interesting to see the different reactions we get from the different locations. Some villages are extremely receptive to the ideas and concepts we are giving them, and many of them already know how to do the things we are showing them, WHICH IS AWESOME. Our skits then are just reinforcing the importance. While other villages are much more stand-offish and not very engaging. Its those villages that I get nervous about any of our work really reaching them. The first two days of this adventure we were driven around in a Peace Corps car because of the location of some of the villages (some being 50k off a main road), however today and tomorrow we will take to our bikes and ride around the region spreading the good word of diarrhea prevention. I am excited!
After this little work trip, I will set out for Mali. I am very excited to spend some time getting some much needed relaxation and sight-seeing! It will be a great time with some good friends, and I hope to bring back LOTS of stories (aka blog posts).
Kori tana te je, Nicolette.
ReplyDeleteKori i la kono te bayi la le. I'm very curious about which villages you are going to visit. Are you going to Daoudi by any chance? It is located 35km north of Koussanar. It is 5km north of Kolomba(I believe I saw Kolomba on your map of Maleme Niani.) When I lived in Daoudi(Dawady Mansa Pathe), there were about 500 people who lived there and only about 100 who lived in Kolomba. If you do get to Dawady, please tell the people there that Musa Tako Ndao(my village name) is greeting everyone there.
Good luck with your tournee. Allah ma ila silo dialla.
Sincerely,
Kim