I just returned for a 6 day trek across the wild plains of Africa to my new home during Volunteer Vistits. We drove 8 hours from Thies to Tambacounda, where the wonderful current volunteers had an America-style BBQ for us, complete with burgers, pasta salad, and beer at the regional house. It was a great introduction to our new home. The next day me and my host Jillian made our way to Koumpentoum which is about 45min-1hr outside of my new hometown. We spend a couple of nights in her "patrone" compound where we ate DELICIOUS food, laid around on mats, and saw some of the projects she is working on. It was so nice to be with a "real live volunteer" at work in her village. We finally made it over to Malèm Niani, where I met my new host family, the Salls. They gave me a new name, Ndamba, and showed me off as their new "Toubob". It was nice and everyone was really excited to have me there.
We then decided to spend a night with my new family. There are about 45 people living in my compound. During the hot season (NOW) everyone sleeps outside which makes it look a lot like a refugee camp. Also, trying to get everyone to sleep at the same time is a silly joke, so sleeping was not really happening. But it was good to get a feel for what the next two years are going to be like. My hut is really cute, but is in need of a lot of work. I am trying to get an outlet put in there as well (fingers crossed).
We returned to the regional house the next day, where I relaxed and had some more beer, and then departed this morning back to Thies. *Sigh* What a CRAZY last couple of days. My head is all over the place but I am still excited and ready to take on what is in front of me. I am happy about my situation and very motivated to get things rolling. I will be in Thies for the next couple of days and then back to MBour for another week.
More later...
You are welcome sweetie! Packages will keep coming! I love you! xox mom
ReplyDelete