Sunday, February 20, 2011

Two

Today marks two weeks until I start my adventure, half way around the world. It is starting to sink in slowly, but surly. I am becoming more and more excited, and also more and more terrified. It is daunting when I look at my bags, or read a current PCV's (Peace Corps Volunteers) blog. I am becoming to fully accept the challenge I have laid out for myself. I am going to take it head-on... but I will be shaking in my boots the whole time.

Until then, I continue to spend time with friends and family. Making sure I value every touch, hug, kiss, and word I have with those I love. I know that I will miss everyone and everything SO much! But I have to continue to remind myself, I am NO DYING! I WILL BE BACK! Its hard to imagine what things will be like when I return (June 2013). Better yet, will it be any different then when I left? haha I'm not sure.

I want to continue to value everything I have hear; my family, my friends, my house, my pets, my cheese :-), but I dont want to feel like Im never coming home again. I have a feeling people will be surprised how fast the time will go, and how often I will actually be able to contact home. It may not even seem like Im living in another country. I will probably get the "You're back?!?" when my return date finally arrives. It is reassuring to talk to PCVs or returned PCVs when they say how much I will appreciate the lessons I will learn and the cultures I will encounter while I am abroad. I am excited to see a different way of life and adapt it as my own for a while.

So... again I say, I AM NOT DYING. I appreciate those who are not currently treating me that way (which isnt many). I promise I will be back. My goal is to be home this Christmas. A mere 9 months away. However, during my time in Senegal, I am looking forward to Skyping, emailing, writing letters, while appreciating a new lifestyle.

That is all for now.

1 comment:

  1. YOU are on your way! You made it to D.C. You will soon be in Senegal...we are all here cheering you on...remember to keep your eyes closed from the airport ride to Theis...You can see Dakar later....love mom

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.